Nov 10, 2007

f stop - Cindy Sherman

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No matter what your individual opinion of Cindy Sherman may be, she has consistently kept her name on the lips of the contemporary art world. Her introspective photography blurs the boundaries of individualism and identity while showing herself in an array of different characters.

I happen to be a huge fan of Cindy Sherman's work. As a fellow photographer and art fag, I admire anyone whose body of work consists of turning the camera on themselves. Cindy was pointing the lens on herself and adjusting camera angles a whole generation before the likes of digital cameras and myspace came along. Her ability to add humor and meaning to a single frame are both refreshing and intriguing.

I do have to admit that I find this last image of hers a bit uncomfortable but still very funny. Let's face it, clowns are scary as hell.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Untitled, 2004, Cindy Sherman